Podopaediatric – This is an area of Podiatry focussing on the diagnosis and treatment of musculoskeletal related problems in children. It is important to note that all children under 16 years of age will need to be accompanied by a parent or guardian to this appointment whom will also need to sign a consent form for assessment and treatment of the child. There are numerous diagnoses that may occur during growth of the child which may cause pain during activity or rest which may affect behaviour and willingness to take part in sport and school activities.
Here at Z.W. Foot & Ankle we take a thorough assessment of the child including both seated, standing and walking assessments in clinic to identify where there could be a problem with the associated structures of the lower limb.
These are some of the things we may look at during the appointment:
- A FULL AND THOROUGH HISTORY of the child’s presenting problem
- Activity level
- Developmental milestones (Birth, started walking and current age milestones)
- Nutrition and BMI
- Hypermobility score if suspected
- Leg length and general joint alignment
- Leg Musculature
- Spine (Lumbar, Thoracic and Cervical)
- Foot arches
- Specific areas of pain
- Resting, standing, walking, walking treadmill, running treadmill if applicable
- Joint assessment (as above)
- Neurological assessment where required
- Treatment plan
- Planned reviews of development
- Footwear advice and sport footwear advice
The treatment plan could include any of the following:
Strength and loading programme (stretching if applicable)
Orthotic intervention (Prefabricated or Custom made)
Possible onward referral to Consultant/ scans.